What does every parent have in common? They want their child to be successful. One of the best ways to set your little one up for success is to practice early literacy skills with them in the years before kindergarten. Below, you will find information and virtual VPK resources that do just that!
Early Literacy Builds Success
According to United Way, the average five-year-old child learning to read from a low-income household recognizes only nine letters of the alphabet, compared to a child from a middle-class family who will recognize 22 letters. Research also shows that a child’s developing brain triples in the first year of life alone and is nearly fully formed by the time a child enters kindergarten. By having your toddler read 20 minutes a day, they will read about 1,800,000 words a year. After all, reading to your brain is like eating to your stomach.
Five Features of Great VPK Literacy Apps
The good news for parents is that there is an endless number of free digital literacy apps for early virtual learning in today’s online world. When narrowing down which ones to select for your child, here are several things to consider:
- Look for reading passages and virtual books that are bright, colorful, and engaging.
- Find apps that feature interactive games and adventures, such as Footsteps2Brilliance.
- Start with apps that focus on the most basic letter sounds and help your children work their way up to learning to read.
- Choose apps with letter-to-sound matching to help your child master the basics of phonics.
- And finally, a great app shows letters out loud and on screen, as well as within words and sentences.
Free VPK Reading App For Osceola County Children: Footsteps2Brilliance
Every child in Osceola County, both school-aged and those who have not yet entered kindergarten, has access to all of these features and more as part of the Footsteps2Brilliance mobile reading app. The best part is that it is FREE, and it can be used virtually anywhere. The app accelerates achievement in phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and writing with a wide variety of books and games to engage your child and promote a love of reading.
Set your child up for success by registering today for Footsteps2Brilliance!
For more literacy tips and activities, visit our Parent Resources Page.